Începutul şi dezvoltarea Congregaţiei
Congregaţia Surorilor Maicii Domnului The Congregation of the Sisters of the Mother of God was founded in February 2nd 1921 in Blaj by Metropolitan Dr. Vasile Suciu(1873-1935), inside the Roman United Greek-Catholic Church. If the intuition and foundation of the Congregation pertain to Metropolitan V. Suciu, its materialization is indebted to Sr. Febronia Mureşan, the first General Superior of the CMG, to whom the Metropolitan entrusted the mission of constituting and leading the first communities of sisters and their apostleship. The first mission entrusted to the sisters was taking care of the post-war orphans, in Obreja. Later on, their activities diversified, also adding to their educational and social activities that of taking care of the sick from hospitals and sanatoriums. The number of sisters and communities grew, so much so that in 1940 the Congregation had the following branches in: Aiud, Geoagiu, Sebeş-Alba, Mediaş, Turda (sanatoriums and hospitals), Bucureşti (Kindergarten and Primary school), Blaj (Thanksgiving Institute), Cluj-Napoca (“St. Therese” Normal and urban school for housekeeping, “Mother of God” boarding house, “Mother of God” primary school, “Mother of God” Kindergarten), Craiova (Primary school). Later on, between the years 1941-1947, other communities were constituted in: Jucu de Jos (Orphanage, Primary mixed school, Mixed gymnasium and pension), Cluj-Napoca (“Mother of God” High school for girls and the Community from the University Clinics).
The period of persecution Congregaţia Surorilor Maicii Domnului – Bine ați venit! – Surorile-CMD.ro
The Congregation held its activity in freedom until 1948 when the Greek-Catholic was dissolved and together with it, the Congregation of the Mother of God. All the properties of the Congregations were confiscated by the State, the sisters were forced to leave the monasteries and go return to their families. The Superiors of the Congregation and some of the sisters were arrested, some of them serving long years in prisons or being forced to house arrest. Even though they were scattered, the sisters continued on faithfully living their vocation and being a support for living the Catholic faith for many Christians.
Deşi au trăit dispersate, surorile au continuat să trăiască cu fidelitate vocaţia lor şi să fie un sprijin în trăirea credinţei catolice pentru mulţi creştini.
Coming to light
After 40 years of communist persecution, in 1989, the Sisters of the Congregation started a new stage of their history. They began reorganizing the monastic life and working in different fields: caring for the orphan and abandoned children, catechesis, caring for the sick, education and different activities in the social domain. In the present time the Sisters live in five communities in different cities from Romania: Cluj-Napoca, Blaj, Sighetu-Marmației și Carei.